Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #10920 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophonic Tonic View Post
When I found out me and my friends were going to watch this, the synopsis I got from the one guy whose seen it was, "Pan's Labyrinth, with a prepubescent girl working as a slave in a bathhouse". So yeah, that is technically an accurate description of the movie, but it is so much more then that. There is A LOT going on which is refreshing compared to the slew of kids movies not made by Pixar that I have seen recently. I watched the dubbed version and it was done extremely well, despite what the purists would say.

8/10
Excellent film. I love Hayao Miyazaki's films, there's always tons of detail and meaning in them and they're always visually spectacular. If you haven't already you should watch Princess Mononoke, it's probably better than Spirited Away.

Meanwhile I watched this on TV last night

It was enjoyable enough although nothing spectacular. It is a typical coming-of-age, boy meets girl comedy/drama set in 1987 but it seemed better than most films like this. There was plenty of laughs and a decent enough story. The best thing about it though was the soundtrack, featuring music from The Cure, Husker Du, The Replacements, Big Star, The Velvet Underground, Yo La Tengo and many more. Can't complain I guess.