Music Banter - View Single Post - The Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

During the district level of the National Council Auditions, I heard for the first time "Steal Me, Sweet Thief," an aria from the opera, "The Old Maid and the Thief."

As is described on YouTube (video below)...

Quote:
"The Old Maid and the Thief" is a one act opera by Italian-American composer Gian Carlo Menotti, written and premiered in 1939. It was one of the earliest operas composed specifically for performance on the radio. The opera was premiered on NBC on April 22, 1939, and was first staged in Philadelphia on February 11, 1941.
I like the aria because of its modern sound and clever, somewhat amusing and sad lyrics about a woman's disappointment in a timid suitor. Below is the song followed by a one-hour video of the whole opera, which I was pleased to find on YouTube!

"Steal Me, Sweet Thief" -- an aria by Gian Carlo Menotti
from his opera, "The Old Maid and the Thief"

Maureen Batt, soprano
Tara Scotti, piano

Steal Me, Sweet Thief (The Old Maid and the Thief) - YouTube

"The Old Maid and the Thief," an opera by Gian Carlo Menotti

The Old Maid and the Thief - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 01-10-2012 at 04:30 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote