Music Banter - View Single Post - What do You Think about Manu Chao
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I have his first solo album, Clandestino :-

Quote:
Chao then returned to South and Central America, spending the next few years drifting around with his guitar and a four-track, recording here and there. The resultant collection of songs was released in 1998 (1999 in the U.S.) under the title Clandestino and included a reworking of the Mano Negra track "King of Bongo."
Actually, the method sounds more interesting than the result: Clandestino is a pleasant but unexceptional album of "Latin Light", enlivened, if that is the word, with bits of recorded tv dialogue, which would`ve been ground-breaking stuff forty years ago.
Manu has a good voice which makes his Spanish lyrics very clear, but King of Bongo , sung in English, sounds like a rather too calculated attempt to produce a chirpy international cross-over hit. If you`ve got tired of playing that Gypsy Kings album you bought after your Mediterranean holiday, Clandestino could be the album for you.