Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles
Thread: The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #250 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Default Cover Songs of The Beatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chives View Post
I don't share this obsession but would you share some of the most interesting Beatles covers you've stumbled across? I can't actually think of many memorable ones off the top of my head.

The Pixies do an awesome cover of Wild Honey Pie on their Live at the BBC album but since that song was basically a joke to begin with so I don't take it too seriously.
I can't say that every band or artist hits a home run out of the park just because they do a cover song of The Beatles. Some are memorable, some are cheesy, and some are epic fails, it's all a matter of taste. I think if you like The Beatles and you like the genre its transposed to... the odds you might like it.

One of my newer finds I found on youtube is the Balalaika Orchestra doing Yesterday, I'm not not too fimilar with Russian music the only thing I heard prior to them was the Balalaika Trio, it's not a MTV style video but it's good quality and has a ensemble of different balalaikas which was cool to hear. One of the early cover songs albums I acquired was Beatles Go Baroque. I like Bach and Vivaldi to begin with and thought it was all tongue in cheek I thought it was a fun album. And that segues into my one my all time favorites albums of any group or genre which is Trio Rococo's Norwegian Wood. It a trio consisting of Harp, Cello and Oboe, at first I thouhgt it was a strange combination of instruments but after hearing it I was amazed how it sound; the different tonal qualities of each instrument worked well together. I'm a huge Steve Howe fan and he was a huge fan of Wes Montgomery both are tied for my favorite Beatles cover song.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote