Music Banter - View Single Post - Peter Green`s Fleetwood Mac
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I see what you're saying. Buckingham is a great guitarist. I think Peter Green was great, though, and I love the blues. So part of me likes the old Mac better, but part of me likes the Buckingham era just as much.
Lindsey Buckingham is an all-time rock hero of mine, but not so much for his guitar playing but for his song writing ability, vision and innovation in the mid 1970s with the soft rock genre and then with later new wave influences etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophonic Tonic View Post
Live at the Boston Tea Party, the full 145 minute version, is probably my favorite blues rock album. You're right. There isn't much to distinguish the blues rock bands that came pouring out of England in the mid 60's. But Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac has just a little bit more of a boogie/groove in their music; compared to the likes of John Mayall or Epic Clapton. Cream did too, put I think was in part due to the psychedelic influences. It's not much, but that slight variation separates them for me.

On Boston Tea Party there are several long tracks that would shrivel up and die under normal circumstances because they lack the hypnotic quality from someone like Junior Kimbrough. What keeps them going is that groove. It reminds me a lot of the stuff from the short lived Band of Gypsys, actually. It slight, but once you notice it, it keeps on going and makes Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac a cut above the other blues bands of the era.
-----------

Sorry to name drop so many artists not named Fleetwood Mac, but they are all fresh in my head from a conversation with my boss.
That is a good live album the Boston Tea Party that is kind of long forgotten. In regards to blues rock of that era, I always think of it as one of my fav genres of the late 1960s but when i think about it in more depth, its the genre as a whole that I like especially watching live, because album wise most of the bands put out a lot of run-of-the-mill albums. Its main rival psychedelic rock had far more classic albums and was far more interesting to listen to. Imo the best blues rock stuff album wise, is probably the early hard rock infused with blues Zeppelin and Blue Oyster Cult releases.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote