Music Banter - View Single Post - Need to get a louder bass amp, not sure where to start
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tristesse
Mmmbop, da ba duba

Quote:
It really depends on what your future goals are and what sort of budget you have for the purchase. You say you're playing outside of school now... where? Bars / clubs / house parties / festivals / studio sessions?
Thanks for the reply, at the moment my band is just really a hobby and I hadn't particularly thought about the prospects of trying to make it big, as it's obviously incredibly competitive. We've got two festivals that are likely to have us, but I'm not sure how big the places are, and we're also starting to do a few small bars/clubs. I'm only 15 (16 in a month or two) so I don't have an abundance of money (thus why I only have a Squier P-bass) so I was hoping for an amp under £250, although I don't have much of an idea about the price ranges of different wattages.

Quote:
The other reason is that once you get to the 100-150watt range you've got enough power that you can push your sound to fit into a live/small local gig band, a 50 'might' cut it, but you can always turn down a bigger amp - but there's no cranking anything past 11...
How portable are 100 watt amps? I'm not what people would call a 'hench' guy, it would be a bit unfortunate to buy one and then find that I'd require help lifting it up

Quote:
As for tones - I'm not a bass maestro, but the only real answer is to go and try a lot of amps (Bring YOUR bass with you, don't use the shop basses, you don't want to trick yourself into thinking a certain amp sounds awesome, only to find that with YOUR bass it doesn't sound so great)
I think they have one of the same bass as mine (P-bass) hanging on the wall in my local music shop, but thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Built in Effects are a plus, Chorus, etc.
Would save me buying numerous pedals I guess!!
Tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote