Music Banter - View Single Post - King Crimson Introduction & Question
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post

Questions:
Of Crimson's 4 periods, how would categorize their sound? Do you agree with my labels? I would think "grunge" will be a point of contention for some, but I think it is an accurate label. I don't hear it as the Nirvana, Pearl Jam style of grunge, but I think those albums have a grungy quality to them.

Period 1- "In the Court," "Poseidon," "Lizard," "Islands" (progressive rock)
Period 2- "Larks' Tongues in Aspic," "Starless and Bible Black," "Red" (improvisational progressive-grunge)
Period 3- "Discipline," "Beat," "Three of a Perfect Pair" (progressive new wave)
Period 4- "THRAK," "The Construction of Light," "The Power to Believe" (industrial and improvisational progressive Grunge)
I wouldn't agree with your period 1 here, the first two albums were with Greg Lake and they define the early Crimson sound and both are prog rock with real power , I once heard the debut album being described as "heavy mental" but both albums have some really mellow stuff. Both Islands and Lizard are without Greg Lake and are far mellower and different in style to the first two albums.

Your period 2 I really wouldn't describe as prog-grunge at all, these albums were around almost two decades before grunge. The grunge moniker comes in as this phase of Crimson was influential on certain grunge acts most notably Nirvana. I'd describe this period with John Wetton as being atmospheric prog with a dark and menacing feel at times and without doubt one of rock's defining moments.

Your period 3 I'd agree with but they sound too much like Talking Heads here and I'd sooner listen to Talking Heads.

Your Period 4 I also agree with.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote