Music Banter - View Single Post - Genesis and American Psycho
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Agreed, I think the plot is blatantly obvious, and I never said that it was complex and ambiguous, just that it is often misunderstood by many people; however, I agree that most people here get the plot because most people here are above average intelligence

But, I do think that many other people dislike the film because they assume it is just a slasher film that negatively portrays women. The whole reason Mary Harron (a female) took on the film as director and screenwriter was because she wanted to better show the dark comedy/ satire side of the book and point out that the story is actually making fun of the men and not the women. She goes into this in detail on the extras section of the DVD.

To Franco Pepe Kalle, I like Collins era Genesis as well (I like Gabriel era better), but I like most of Genesis' 80's output as well, but it is more shallow than the 70's output... but sometimes shallow is good in my book.
I suppose that's true and I think you'll find that's the case with lots of art that is controversial. People don't try to look at the point that is being made, or don't get the satire of it, or even deliberately choose to ignore the point because then they can no longer use the art as a tool of protest.

They're just loooking for a scapegoat to promote their agenda. I do recall that the book when released got a lot of hate from women activists.

Last edited by midnight rain; 01-13-2012 at 04:00 PM.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote