Music Banter - View Single Post - Genesis and American Psycho
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
sopsych
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I don't think the guy has firm grasp on reality let alone music - I think it spoofs the opinions of Genesis fans rather than an insightful critique on Genesis that is to be taken seriously. There something eerie about it, the guy gives a emotionally detached monotonous speech about something he is suppose to be passionate about while playing a "romantic" song. He sounds very professional about inane stuff, I think the scene is set up to provide irony.

It reminds me of American Psycho (II) where the guy had this strange obsession with Huey Lewis and the News. I've seen APII with my cousin, because he's into to those slasher movies, (I don't care for them) and I came away just hating Huey Lewis from that one scene, I still have to look over my should when I hear a song by Huey Lewis and the News.
That's problem I have with the monologue - to some people, it turned Phil Collins into a joke. I've tried to discuss his music online and have had people disrupt the conversation with the Bateman quote.
sopsych is offline   Reply With Quote