Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #731 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Another new section to be implemented now, as first announced by Stacey-Lynn's NewsFoxes last month, this will feature collections of my favourite solos, mostly guitar but they could also be keyboard, piano, even drum if the fancy takes me (not bloody likely!), from across possibly a wide variety of genres, though chances are that rock and metal will feature quite heavily.

Thinking about how I was going to approach this, I didn't want to go through the hassle of creating a separate YouTube video for each solo, so instead I've cobbled together a file with all the solos for the first edition and added an admittedly boring title for them to run under. But you're not bothered about the picture, are you? It's the music we're interested in, yes? So let's get to it.

As YouTube restricts you to fifteen minutes per video, I decided to limit the selection to a total of ten minutes each time. Means I can't put in as many solos as I'd like --- some run longer than you might expect --- but I think we've picked out some pretty decent ones here, not to mention some you may not have heard, heard of, or considered would be included. The video is below, with the running order underneath.

First up we have Journey, who are not always thought of for their brilliant guitar solos, and this is a pity, as Neal Schon is one hell of a guitarist. A fact he proves ably here, with a track from the “Arrival” album, a great solo to close “World gone wild”.

His solo album “Sailing to Philadelphia” may have got its arse kicked only a few days ago in the Last Chance Saloon, but there's no doubting Mark Knopfler's expertise and artistry on the guitar, and here he is in his element with Dire Straits, on the closing track to “Love over gold”, a track called “It never rains.” Bit of organ and piano thrown in there for good measure too!

A real virtuoso on the guitar, this is John Sykes in action on Thin Lizzy's last studio album, the brilliant “Thunder and lightning”, with a scorching solo from “Cold sweat”.

One of my very favourite tracks from Frank Marino's 1982 album “Juggernaut”, this is the powerful and emotive solo that ends “Stories of a hero”.

There was absolutely no way we were ever going to leave Rory G out of this inaugural edition of “Fingers of fire”, but what track of his to pick? It could literally have been any one, and no doubt we'll be featuring him in future editions, but for now, I like this one from “Top priority”, it's “Wayward child”.

Not a band you would have expected to have been included in a selection of guitar solos? Well, just listen to the powerful one that ends their classic “Goodbye to love”, and ask yourself if the Carpenters deserve their place here?

Next time we may mix it up a little, or it may be all guitar solos again, I haven't really decided. Wow, I really plan ahead, don't I?

Last edited by Trollheart; 06-08-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Trollheart is online now   Reply With Quote