Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles vs The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #305 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
All I know is that The Beatles' "Girl" does nothing for me emotionally, Il Duce, and rather annoys me, especially when Lennon with his thin little chilly and whiny voice says, "And I think of all the times I've tried so hard to leave her, and she will turn to me and start to cry," then goes on to describe the ways she humiliates him. (Maybe that's why you like it! ) I want to tell him, "Just leave her and be done with it!"
... I do, however, like the Greek musical influences in "Girl." And apparently the concept behind the song is that it was a jab at Christianity and the way belief in Christianity makes people suffer.
I haven't heard that until you mentioned it. I know George was at least half Irish-Catholic but choose to practice Hinduism later and was considered a secret Krishner by a memeber of the Hare Krishners. John apparently struggled with and questioned things both religious and political, and I don't know if he ever considered himself affiliated with any denomination. When ever John says something it is hard to say what he meant at the time if it wasn't clear because he spoke how he felt at the time he might have a different perspective later. But he did like double meanings (and also double-entendres.) I don't have any quotes available on what John about "Girl" but I don't think it's that Christianity makes people suffer but that the idea in Christianity about longsuffering "pain will lead to pleasure..." also works into how men are tortured when they fall madly in love with women and it doesn't work out to their expectation. He might be writing about who he felt about religion at the time but those ideas in the lyrics. But he was also writing about men who really don't follow your "Just leave her and be done with it!" advice.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 01-15-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote