Music Banter - View Single Post - SATCHMO Spouts About Science, Life, and Isms: Another Goddamn Religion Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Before I start, I'm agnostic, I neither believe nor disbelieve in the existence of a deity, though I am strongly sceptical. Ultimately, conclusive proof for or against said existence is beyond our knowledge. I do swing towards the side of Atheism, in that I think the existence of a deity is highly unlikely, and belief in such merely serves a social and psychological purpose.

There are positive aspects to religious belief systems. For example, Protestantism instilled in its practitioners a moral code and work ethic which were both essential to the productivity of the Industrial Revolution. Society requires some sort of control to function, and historically, religion has been the main source of this. Granted, things are quite different now with the rise to power of the media etc (media as religion is a completely different topic altogether). It also cultivates a sense of community, which can provide a support structure - something I think is needed for people to truly thrive.

Be this as it may, I do think the cons outweigh the pros. Though we do require structure and an element of control, human beings should also have the courage to tackle life head on and continually pursue new experiences. We should all be able to express ourselves fully and engage with our passions - that's where the beauty of life lies. Of course we should all respect others and work hard for our privileges, but some religions, if not all, rely on coercion, and to me living in the shadow of fear or threats succeeds in doing nothing but dehumanizing an individual. It's easily corruptible, and that's where serious problems arise.

However, on a personal level, I fully accept a person's need to believe in some higher power. I'm sure it can be very comforting believing that, in times of personal struggle or chaos, there is somebody watching over you, and that everything will work out for the best. It also provides answers to life's questions, and human beings feel at their most comfortable and empowered when having an explanation.

I'm prepared to discuss my points in a civil manner, but anybody wanting to get in to some hardcore religious debate can back the fuck up.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote