Music Banter - View Single Post - SATCHMO Spouts About Science, Life, and Isms: Another Goddamn Religion Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 03:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine
As for duplicating those experiences, I'm hellbent against the idea. If a religious experience happens to a person then they have to choose how to deal with it and I think attempting to duplicate it, grasp it, and own it is wrong because actually duplicating it is improbable and attempts to do so are probably detrimental. No experiences last forever and certainly not religious experiences. I'd say most of the problems that religions cause in the world result from the belief that people can and should duplicate previous religious experiences.
Obviously, the term religious experience can run the gambit from a profound sense of peace to a mild psychosis, but I have a tough time understanding how a sense of enlightenment should be outright avoided. Is it really the belief that people can and should duplicate previous religious experiences That's responsible for most of the problems that religion has caused in the world? I Would think that designation would go toward intolerance of conflicting lifestyle and point of view, or a desire to impose ones beliefs on others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneer
There are positive aspects to religious belief systems. For example, Protestantism instilled in its practitioners a moral code and work ethic which were both essential to the productivity of the Industrial Revolution. Society requires some sort of control to function, and historically, religion has been the main source of this. Granted, things are quite different now with the rise to power of the media etc (media as religion is a completely different topic altogether). It also cultivates a sense of community, which can provide a support structure - something I think is needed for people to truly thrive.

Be this as it may, I do think the cons outweigh the pros. Though we do require structure and an element of control, human beings should also have the courage to tackle life head on and continually pursue new experiences. We should all be able to express ourselves fully and engage with our passions - that's where the beauty of life lies. Of course we should all respect others and work hard for our privileges, but some religions, if not all, rely on coercion, and to me living in the shadow of fear or threats succeeds in doing nothing but dehumanizing an individual. It's easily corruptible, and that's where serious problems arise.
It's interesting that you approach religion from a predominately socio-political perspective, which it is a socio-political convention. I've always found that that particular facet of religion/spirituality to be its most ugly side. Still it's very interesting that you drew both positive and negative aspects from it, which brings about another interesting question: If it is an innate human tendency to create religions, to create Gods, so to speak which I believe it is, what does that tendency represent? Does it represent an intrinsic and valid need of the human organism both on a psychological and a sociological level? If so, how should, or could that need be sated in a secular manner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneer
I'm prepared to discuss my points in a civil manner, but anybody wanting to get in to some hardcore religious debate can back the **** up.
Believe me, in this thread, that goes without saying, mainly because I already said in not so many words.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote