Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles vs The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #309 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
However, the Beatles' songs don't usually pull me out of my own life perspective and emotional state into someone else's, like The Beach Boys' songs do.

When listening to the Beach Boys' "Don't Worry," for example, I feel as if I'm transported not just into another emotional state, but also into someone else's life. Listening to this song is similar to watching a short movie that engrosses me: I feel as if I become the sensitive young man in the song who brags about his car and gets frazzled easily in social situations, and finds himself soothed and happy due to his girlfriend.
What about She's Leaving Home?

Quote:
The Beach Boys' songs often leave a satisfied echo of emotional wellbeing after listening to them. On the down side, they don't challenge my intellect at all. They are often so simplistic and straightforward in their meaning that I never have any question what they are about.

Yet usually I forgive the lack of depth in The Beach Boys' music because their songs with their beautiful singing are just so warm, like an enveloping hug, that they affect me more than the Beatles' songs do.
I think some of this is simply the west coast sound and that I suppose developed into the whole sunshine pop style in the later 60s. The Beatles in comparison were like chameleons trying their hand at lots of styles, so that gives them less of a single identity. The Beach Boys somehow seemed to represent a more specific lifestyle.

Quote:
Maybe the main difference is that Beatles songs frequently leave me feeling pensive and somewhat alone, while the Beach Boys' songs often leave me feeling contented and connected. I noticed this early on when I was a child listening to my brother's many records. I like both effects but if forced to choose would pick "contented and connected."
Maybe it's because they are more of a harmony group as well, also there are family members so maybe that means their voices fit together more. And The Beatles sing alone more as individual songwriters.