Music Banter - View Single Post - Multicellular Life Evolves in Laboratory
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
What about those singular yeast cell do they also mutate but without becoming multi-cellular or are they also prone to (like you say) placidity? I think if there was a way to map the genomes every day for 60 days (time given in the article for the experiment) for both yeast A and yeast B and any other yeast that branches off to see molecular change in the DNA for each one - I might be more satisfied, for me that would be proof of something happening.
Organisms' DNA mutates. Of course the genetic makeup of the yeast would change over time, no matter what you did with it. We know this from a wealth of studies already. Science is way past that point and it's about time the general populace catches up.

The interesting thing here is not actually that stuff evolves. Micro organisms (and life in general) evolve in the labs and elsewhere and that's nothing new. The interesting thing here is the evolution of the multicellular trait. Many have thought it a very difficult trait to achieve, but this scientist and his study shows how quickly it can happen in yeast and that can tell us something about how the trait first appeared in other lineages.

I find it a bit difficult to respond to you because I'm not sure we're on the same page. For example, I don't know to what extent you understand evolution. Perhaps you believe genetic mutations are very rare?