Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #813 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
Interesting blog post here about the process which leads to albums getting overhyped and then becoming fake classics.

The 10 Most Overrated Albums of 2011, According to Jon | Primary Ignition
Ah yes another one of these blog rants that tries to be controversial in some way. It's not very well thought-out either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 10 Most Overrated Albums of 2011, According to Jon
9. Wild Flag: Wild Flag (Merge Records) — A super group of a bunch of ladies from bands that were never very good in the first place. With their powers combined they created… blandness. Obnoxious vocals, guitar licks and presentation all around. This is to be expected though, since the only good band that existed from these ladies previously was Mary Timony’s ’90s act Helium.
The first and last statements here seem contradict each other a bit. He's not a fan of Sleater-Kinney then I guess.

Quote:
6. Yuck: Yuck (Fat Possum) — Everyone keeps saying how awesome this ’90s revival indie rock band is. I challenge you to listen to any of Yuck’s tracks back to back with any of the bands they are compared to, like Dinosaur Jr. You will notice how junior high this band sounds. I think this record just goes to show how desperate people are to hear something of quality but, instead of searching a little harder for band with a ’90s flair and some actual passion, they just settle for this young English band because the bass player has an afro.
I bet I've listened to more 90's indie rock than this guy yet I still enjoy this album a lot. Also their bass player Mariko Doi doesn't have an afro (although it would be cool if she did), it's their drummer Jonny Rogoff who has the afro. Some nice research done there.

Quote:
5. Bon Iver: Bon Iver (Jagjaguwar) — Now this record isn’t horrible. It’s actually pretty good, but not as freakin’ amazing as everyone says it is. If you take a concentrated listen to the ten songs included on this record, there is absolutely nothing groundbreaking going on musically, lyrically or emotion-wise. This is an album to put you to sleep, not to be considered as one of the best releases of the year. I think the main reason this record was included on publication’s lists and given so much attention is the fact that Justin Vernon guested on a couple songs on last year’s most overrated album — possibly the most overrated album of all time — Kanye West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
Does he like it or think it's boring enough to put you to sleep? He doesn't seem to make it clear. Also I don't think the reason why Bon Iver are so popular right now is because Justin guested on some guy's album, it's because they've released two rather fine albums over the past few years.

Quote:
1. Foo Fighters: Wasting Light (RCA) — This band used to be cool.
And with that I think I'll shut up now.