Music Banter - View Single Post - Good Sticks and Cymbals for Punk Drumming?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

In my world, punk drummers look for the worst cymbals possible. Those are usually the ones with character. Cool thing is you can just buy some mediocre second-hand cymbals and beat the crap out of them, maybe rub them in dirt and all manner of filth, until they have that signature raw punk sh*ttiness that blends so well with the rest of the band. If you're gonna go punk, you may as well do it the right way.

But I guess now days folks are probably looking for that radio album sound, so if that's you, you'll probably not want to follow that advice.

Go to your local music dealers and actually hit some cymbals for yourself. That's really the best course you can take. As far as sticks, Vics are fine. 5A is fine as well. You'll probably want wood tips and not nylons. Nylons give you a little more brightness, which really isn't necessary, and takes away from the more solid, meaty tone you get from wood tips. Not to mention nylon tips have a tendency to fly off if you go hardcore on 'em.
Depending on how you angle your toms, you'll want to look at the shape of the tips as well. If you have a lot of angle on your toms, go with round tips so you're not digging holes in your skins as much. Otherwise, egg shapes are fine.

As to why you would want your cymbals black with your name on them, I have no idea... so I can't really comment on that.