Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #842 (permalink)
Howard the Duck
Live by the Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophonic Tonic View Post
Elvis does deserve some credit. While I agree his music is nothing special, his image and what he represented shaped rock and roll. So many of the big artists from the early 60's through the late 60's usually mention seeing Elvis on the TV and wanting to be like him as a reason they wanted to be rock stars.

The way I see it, if you look at the music the people who are underrated are the likes of Screaming Jay Hawkins and Link Wray. Guys who were among the first to do them and are still prevalent in rock to this day. Elvis' influence on music is all but evaporated and I don't see his stage persona living on. But when we see crazy live shows, costume and theatrics... It can be traced straight back to Screaming Jay Hawkins, aka the original shock rocker. Rock and roll was contraversial enough in the 50's without painting your face and rising from a coffin as a African bushman. And with Link Wray, something as simple as distortion and power chords became his trademark and are used in 99.6876% of rock music today. In fact, 'Rumble' is one of the most important recordings ever just for the sheer balls it had in 1958. And 'Rumble' has had almost as many endorsements as Elvis as inspiration for those young, inspiring rockers back in the day.

The things Screaming Jay Hawkins and Link Wray did are not appreciated by enough people today simply because they lack the name recognition. Elvis made his mark on the culture. Significant, yes. But when it comes down to tangible musical influence... He's worthy of the 'overrated' title.
Screaming Jay Hawkins didn't have much musical substance, if you want my 2cents - he was the first "Shock Rocker", though, and he deserves credit for that - i don't think there'd be Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson without him

Link Wray practically invented punk and metal

Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote