Music Banter - View Single Post - Bumpy Moments with YOUR Band?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
GeddyVanHalen
Account Disabled

Default Bumpy Moments with YOUR Band?

I'll tell you a story about not-so-good moments with my band. But in return I'd also like to hear yours.

I think the worst show my band has done was back in August. We got informed by the person in charge of the show that there's a little rec centre that's having a grand opening, and they're looking for bands. Well, at the time I was thinking "Hey, it's an all-ages show and that's what we want, right??" We didn't care how far it was, we were willing to drive as far as possible to do a kick-ass set.

Well, the band and I practiced as much as we could. And we were so sure it was gonna kick ass and everything. We were even told by e-mail that there would be pizza given to us. (SCORE...or so I thought for now).

So on the day of the show, we drove for like almost over an hour. As we got there, the new rec centre was located in the middle of a park. Didn't really bother me too much, but at the same time, it's like it was in the middle of nowhere. Then the guy organizing said there'd be pizza, but there was a very limited amount...I mean, VERY limited (one slice per person). We had to save it for the other staff members at the rec centre, and they weren't even large pizzas (alright, so maybe it shouldn't be a big deal, but we WERE told there'd be food for us, though they never stated how much food).

First band went on stage, they played a good set, but there was barely anybody there. Just their parents/relatives, but in few numbers. After that, it was our turn. And get this....the first band didn't stay behind for our set! I dunno what their reason was, but I'm pretty sure it was because they were fed up about how the show was run too and they just wanted to get the hell outta there.

During our set, our drummer was having problems with the kit in between a couple of songs, so I had to do some talking for a couple of minutes to the very few number of people in the audience who were sitting on their chairs.

After our set was over, the very few people who were there for our set liked what we did. That part was definitely worth it for sure. The part that was kinda hurting though was that a bunch of other randoms came in, but they obviously were NOT there for any of the bands....they were there for the DJ's during intermission.

The final act was this one guy, and again, only a few selected number of people in the audience. He did a good set, but definitely not the right audience.

So overall...wrong gig, wrong place, and wrong time. Though the few people who were in the audience liked what we did (and I thank them so much for that), the band and I agreed to not to play at bad locations like that, and we'll just stick with playing places that will be for sure bumpin'.
Definitely something we indie bands have to go through, but at the same time we all have choices.
GeddyVanHalen is offline   Reply With Quote