Music Banter - View Single Post - Screw you, Apple
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Default Screw you, Apple

Looking at my desk, I realize I have given Apple way too much of my money. I am typing this from a Macbook, I use an iPhone, and all my music travels faithfully with me in my iPod. Something about this just isn't right.

Back in the day Macs just sucked. Nothing was compatible, they froze all the time, and were just generally a pain in the ass to use. Then sometime around the end of the 20th they picked up their game and made some quality products. Their business picked up. Then they got cocky. While my Macbook seems to be doing just fine, I know others have not had the same luck. iPhones and iPods, however, are just freaking atrocious. This is where the point of this thread comes in.

I've been a faithful iPod user for years. I started with the U2 special edition (because it was black and had a red click wheel, which I thought looked badass). That lasted until I felt like upgrading to an iPod video with a whopping 60GB. That sucker lasted a good 4-5 years before crapping out on me. Now, that's a good lifespan for a tiny piece of hardware if you ask me. So I'm thinking...ok I'll stick with Apple for my music listening needs. I grab myself a 160 GB iPod classic, happy I can once again carry around most of my music. It lasts for a year (albeit with a few glitches) until the thing corrupts a week after warranty and I'm stuck with a very expensive paperweight. Being lazy and broke, I never attempted repairs.

Months pass and I get a new one for Christmas for my girlfriend. It falls a short distance (nothing my old iPod couldn't take...I even have some stories about its rough existence)...and BAM white screen of death. If you don't know what this is...well, you are lucky. After some searching, I find this is a very common problem amongst iPod classics and iPod touches alike...even with small impacts. That's 2 freaking expensive ass iPods in 2 years. Of course, I take it in and they are convinced I dropped it (granted, I did...but it wasn't anything that should have ended its life). Warranty voided.

Oh hell no. I want my ****ing iPod. I crack the sucker open, adjust the LCD ribbon (which would be the most logical place to look first) and BAM it works again. Party. Someone picks it up, flops it on the couch, and its the white screen all over again. I open it again, it starts working again, and I go about my day. A week later and I'm staring at the ****ING white screen again. That's where I'm at today.

So I guess this thread serves the dual purpose of complaining about Apple's increasingly shoddy craftsmanship and seeing if anyone has some advice on permanently getting this thing fixed. I've posted this elsewhere, but I wanted to see if you guys had anything to say. If I open it again, I want it to be for good. The parts in there are so fragile that I fear I will really screw something up every time I do it.

One thing to note...the second time I opened it I noticed the ribbon kind of stuck to the hard drive with something a bit sticky...I don't know if this would have anything to do with what's going on but worth mentioning.

So yeah...screw you, Apple. Why do I have to love the iPhone so much?