Music Banter - View Single Post - Screw you, Apple
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Here are my experiences with Apple:
1986: Got an Apple IIC and used it as my first gaming computer. My best memories of it are playing early editions of King's Quest, and text-based games like Hitchhiker's Guide and Leather Goddesses of Phobos. I loved that thing. It never broke down - my family gave it away sometime in the mid-90s.

1988(?): My dad got an early version of the Apple MacIntosh. Wasn't nearly as fun as the IIC but I got hours of enjoyment playing with its text-to-speech program. Also, the first computer I used to get on the Web and play around on idiotic message boards.

2003: Got my first laptop, an iBook G4. It's still kicking to this day. While it has virtually no memory and doesn't support most current software, it still works fine and I can get online with it and use it for basic functions if I cared to (but I don't - too slow).

2005: My first iPod. 5th generation 30 GB click wheel. I have it one of those clear hard plastic cases which I guess are worth using b/c I've dropped it many times and had no problems. The thing works fine. I still use it b/c it has some music on it that I don't have anywhere else.

2008: Got a 21" screen iMac desktop. After 3 years of heavy use by multiple people it gave me the blue screen of death (which did piss me off) but I've got it sitting around b/c I've seen others like it with the same problem be revived and I plan to fix it one of these days.

2009: My first (and only) iPhone. 32 GB 3GS. I use this as my phone and MP3 player and also take full advantage of all of its smartphone features. Never had a problem with it.

2011: Got a MacBook Pro and have zero complaints. It does what I want it to do with lightening speed. I'm using Lion which I kind of hate but spent the extra $100 to get Apple Care support for 3 years and any problems I've had with the stupid OS so far have been taken care of over the phone pretty swiftly.

2011: I found an iPod Nano, 4GB 3rd generation on the street. It's beaten to hell and looks like it's been run over by a car but the only thing that doesn't work on it is the lock switch. Even without that though, it automatically puts itself into battery saving mode while in use. So, free 4GB music storage on a little tiny piece of metal I found on the ground.

Sometimes I think about spending a couple hundred on some crappy PC laptop that I can abuse and then just throw in the trash when it dies on me but this would only be so that I could protect my beloved MBP from harm so it's probably unnecessary.

So, um... Screw you, Apple haters