Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Flamenco Week!
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Of course, if anyone has a claim to the title the world's greatest flamenco guitarist, it has to be Paco De Lucia.
If anyone deserves a title of recognition for Flamenco music (honestly all things considered) it should go to Paco Peña. Not only for his talent in playing solo Flamenco guitar music but also for the work he does exposing the whole Flamenco tradition (dancing, singing, and music) to the rest of the world, he travels with a whole ensemble of musicians and a flamenco dance company (in case your wondering what the name of Paco Peña's flamenco dance company is called it's "Paco Peña and the Paco Peña Flamenco Dance Company"). What piqued my curiosity in Flamenco was hearing
Steve Howe Mood For a Day - YouTube I wouldn't consider the song true Flamenco but in the Flamenco-style and to me it has different musical elements mixed in it. But anyway I went searching and the first Flamenco guitarist I found was Paco Peña so he's been a favourite ever since. The first two videos are Paco Peña playing solo and the last is a compilation of segments of Paco Peña and the Paco Peña Flamenco Dance Company in concert, I couldn't find just one whole video to show that would best suite what they do, but this does very well by showing what is performed at one of their shows.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 01-23-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote