Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #320 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
That's a good cover of the classic Iron Butterfly song.
Yes, I think so, too. I prefer it to the original.

Now I'm listening to Slayer's less melodic "Cult." I like that they have strong opinions and their rapid lyrics are important to the music, although I think having a little more vocal melody occasionally to accompany the impressive drumming would improve this song and make it more memorable.

I think this song is kind of cute because I can tell that they like rhyming...so on the one hand you've got the oppressive sound of the angry music, but on the other hand you've got some cheerful rhyming going on, which makes the song sound rather refined.

EDIT: I especially like music that uses an unexpected order of measures with different time signatures, and this song is a good example. It begins by repeating a pattern of 7 measures in 3/4 time, followed by 1 measure in 5/4 time...and then repeats those 8 measures around six times with variations in the guitar and drums. I view this as a musical method of representing chaos and disorder in order to help build the meaning of the song (which is opposed to a traditional, ordered view of the universe).

Slayer - Cult (HD) - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 01-24-2012 at 05:31 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote