Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #17918 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Had to call in sick today, due to a bad ear infection and fever. I haven't been able to hear anything in my right ear for six days now. My doctor prescribed Augmentin (antiobiotic) and Vicodin for pain, but I don't want to take the Vicodin tonight because I'll never get up in the morning. Have to go to work tomorrow no matter what.
This sounds awful, Liz. I hope your hearing will return quickly in your right ear as the antibiotic prevents further growth of the bacteria. I also hope that you can get through the workday with little pain.

I looked up the medications to learn more about them.

I read here ( Vicodin Information from Drugs.com ) that Vicodin "may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert."

I read that Augmentin contains the antibiotic Amoxicillin, which is in the penicillin class of antibiotics, and does not kill bacteria directly but stops them from multiplying by preventing their formation of walls that surround them, which they require to survive. (While working with bacteria in the lab, I have used Ampicillin, which has the same structure as Amoxicillin, and it prevented the growth of E. coli very well.)

Amoxicillin is effective against many different bacteria including H. influenzae, N. gonorrhoea, E. coli, Pneumococci, Streptococci, and certain strains of Staphylococci, the latter two being involved in ear/sinus infections and skin infections, respectively.

Augmentin also contains the newer antibiotic called Clavulanate potassium, which is similar to penicillin but fights bacteria that are often resistant to penicillins and other antibiotics. Augmentin Information from Drugs.com

So Augmentin looks like a good choice of antibiotic for your ear infection.

If your bacterial invaders are Streptococci pneumoniae, a common cause of ear infections, then they might look like these below. They are pretty, aren't they? They look deceptively harmless, like breakfast cereal.

Your invaders:

Panda Puffs Breakfast Cereal:

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 01-25-2012 at 09:06 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote