Music Banter - View Single Post - Deltron Event II
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 03:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Okay, I get that you like Del... a lot. That's fine, I used to as well. It's got nothing to do with comparisons of his current stuff to his old stuff or to anybody else's. I just don't enjoy the raps he makes now. He's an adorable guy and all, but just doesn't sound good to me. I don't know what it is exactly but he's lost something. I still wish him well though. He's lucky to have fans like you.
He's a bit of a hometown hero to me, also. I'm from Oakland as well. Raised in nearby Berkeley and the rest of the Easy Bay my stomping ground. So I can't rule out that I have a special spot for him due to hometown hero effect. Plus, I just do feel what his lyricism has been about throughout his career. But Sparky does raise a good point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Del is coasting on some antiquated perception of him being a "real" rapper unlike all the other rappers or something. This is probably because it is all he's ever rapped about. Deltron 2 will probably be an equal piece of music to the first one, but it is too late to have any relevancy.
I'm not denying this at all. I'm hoping for the best for him, but even if it is received poorly, I feel he will continue to rap for years to come. That's a lot of what he talks about on his records as well: He doesn't make it for anyone but himself, and releases it because there are people that want to hear it. Even if there was just a handful of us he'd put it out. I guess that's why he released a free album around 2009 or whatever. Just to show he doesn't care about the money of it, he just is doing what he likes to do. If nobody wants it, whatever, but I've seen him live about 3 times in as many years and he's still filling rooms so I think he still has support. Him and the Hiero crew. But even when he performs solo (well he usually takes A Plus when he's out no matter what from what I've seen).

At this point, we'll have to see how it turns out. Might he surprise you? Maybe. I recommend checking this out whether you're optimistic or pessimistic about it.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote