Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #4324 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
You speak like the only thing that matters in the gaming industry is the next AAA title. Why did you bring up the Modern Warfare angle but ignore my Rockband example for DLC?

Consider the popularity of casual gaming through browsers, social networking sites, tablets, and phones. Sure it might not be 'hardcore', but it's kind of impossible to deny the success of that market or the fact that they do produce games. How much does it cost to get Farmville? Is it really $60? I used $50 as an example of how it's easier to convince a lot of people to buy a small thing for cheap than it is to convince people to buy a big thing for a lot.

As for the Free to Play model just about every MMO out there besides World of Warcraft and the new Star Wars game don't charge monthly fees anymore. Not only did they get rid of the financial entry barrier and monthly subscriptions, some have even turned around to proclaim increased revenue greater than they ever had while operating with the classic 'pay first' model.

Again, are you actually paying attention to the industry or just to your particular niche preference?
I'm perfectly fine with the Rock Band DLC. I have no interest in those music games, but if you think it's worth the money then I'm sure it is. I think I've said it 2 or 3 times already, but I'll repeat it again to be clear: DLC has potential and can be awesome when it's worth the price (Shivering Isles, GTA IV expansions come to mind). It's when they rip you off (and on Xbox, at least, this seems to be the majority of cases) that DLC makes me mad. I'm pretty sure we're on the same page with that.

Quote:
As for the Free to Play model just about every MMO out there besides World of Warcraft and the new Star Wars game don't charge monthly fees anymore. Not only did they get rid of the financial entry barrier and monthly subscriptions, some have even turned around to proclaim increased revenue greater than they ever had while operating with the classic 'pay first' mode
Which is what I was referring to with the $60 base games you pay for. I fail to see how it's a 'free to play model' whether you're paying $60 upfront, or $10 a month.

You seem to be grossly misunderstanding my words.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote