Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #9416 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I know the feeling.
I'm a couple weeks into a BS music appreciation class and the groans I hear from my classmates when the professor plays legit classical stuff almost leads me to feel like I've somehow mistaken feeling, melody and emotion for some sort of reality when it is actually some crazy, alien concept.
I think my instructor is a douche, but I'd honestly take him over the stone-faced college kids neighing and nay-saying whenever something comes out of the speakers that doesn't isn't from the 21st century and prominently displayed in one or more major media outlets.

I think the biggest thing I'm going to learn from this class is that the majority of people are simply slaves to their immediate environment, and I think it should be remarked upon when there are those that manage to let their very basic human tendencies enjoy a very human thing like music, regardless of what the style-du-jour is.
It's been 2 1/2 years since I took my music appreciation class, but I know exactly how you feel. Nobody particularly had an interested in that class (me included0 and any attempt by my instructor to engage in some kind of discussion fell flat. It's a little depressing upon reflection, because it wasn't a bad class by any stretch of the imagination, but it just serves as a reminded to how lost so many people are to the wonders of classical music. I did briefly try and bond with my instructor over a mutually shared passion with dark jazz (I believe I gave him Bohren & der Club of Gore's Black Earth (2002), however nothing really became of that intimation). Still, I'm sorry that the class is proving to be as worthless 3-years later as it did for me, that never bodes well, my only advice is to be stick with it, it's 3 more credits towards your degree, and that supposedly is suppose to be some consolation.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote