Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #4325 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
I'm perfectly fine with the Rock Band DLC. I have no interest in those music games, but if you think it's worth the money then I'm sure it is. I think I've said it 2 or 3 times already, but I'll repeat it again to be clear: DLC has potential and can be awesome when it's worth the price (Shivering Isles, GTA IV expansions come to mind). It's when they rip you off (and on Xbox, at least, this seems to be the majority of cases) that DLC makes me mad. I'm pretty sure we're on the same page with that.

Which is what I was referring to with the $60 base games you pay for. I fail to see how it's a 'free to play model' whether you're paying $60 upfront, or $10 a month.

You seem to be grossly misunderstanding my words.
That's fair but I don't get where DLC rips anyone off. It's a product offered to the public like anything else. You make the claims you don't care about multiplayer or anything besides the base core experience of a game. So why get upset about a facet of the industry that exists solely to expand multiplayer or core experience. It's not like you need to buy DLC in order to finish the main game.

As for free to play that is EXACTLY as it sounds. You go to whatever webpage, create an account, download the launcher, download the game, then play. As much as you want, as often as you want. For no additional cost besides what it normally costs you to check this website. Games like...

Team Fortress2
City of Heroes
Dungeons and Dragons Online
Lord of The Rings Online
Everquest
Age of Conan
Hellgate London
Champions Online
DC Universe

And that's just off the top of my head, any one of those. Free. That's not to say there aren't different levels of service for people with free accounts vs. people with premium accounts but the fact remains, the core game and access to the core game has now started shifting to being free. Every single title in that list has made the announcement that they noticed both an increase in players and an increase in revenue after switching to a free2play model. They make more money off micro-transactions than they did from monthly subscription fees.

The new Mechwarrior and Splinter Cell (or maybe it was Ghost Recon) have also been announced as being F2P releases when they launch later this year.

Really though, outside the AAA / 'hardcore' gamer demographic, there really aren't that many games being launched at $60. Especially not when you factor in mobile and casual gaming into that mix. The next gen consoles are not where it's at for the industry, whoever bridges the gap between casual / portable market and the next gen is. The WiiU is interesting but I really think Nintendo dropped the ball with the original presentation and arbitrary 1 tablet per console limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote