Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #11035 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Glad you liked it

I just think it's a brilliant movie with many beautiful details that are a little easier to catch on the second viewing. Most of all, I like the humanity of it. After reading some movie forums, I see some people don't like the last bit so much ..

Spoiler for Fisher King Spoiler:
Jack goes back to being an ******* and Parry slips back into the catatonic state. Many didn't like the movie going back to "square one" so late in it.

But I think that's a very honest portrayal of Jack's character change. Contrary to what many other films could tell you, people don't always change that quickly.

Anyways, as you probably figured out, the movie is about redemption through friendship and it's as much about Jack's redemption as Parry's. I think it's a great story.

edit :

Also, kudos to Jeff Bridges for playing one of his best roles ever. The Dude is fun, but I think Jack may be the more interesting character of the two. Robin is of course also good and I feel it's only appropriate to mention Mercedes Ruehl as well (Jack's girlfriend) who is, in my opinion, absolutely brilliant.
Every scene that Mercedes Ruehl was in made me cringe. She may have portrayed that type of woman very well, but I loathe/hate that type of woman. She's so typical New York. I'd sooner go after Perry's shy, clutzy girl than Jack's girl.

Spoiler for Fisher King spoiler:
I was happy when Jack was gonna dump her. And bummed out that he came back and told her he loved her. But it shouldn't have surprised me; it showed that he was ready to change and to be committed, but I just loathe that type of woman ... to each their own... I wouldn't have minded at all if the same scenarios went down with a different kind of woman... someone a little less New York. It doesn't sound right on paper, but I don't wanna say someone less Jewish or Italian or whatever the hell she was.

Like I said, she may have brilliantly portrayed the character, but I loathe the character. Focusing too much on a minor thing.

I didn't mind your spoiler at all. I think it's a respectable plot device to do that sort of thing.

As far as details, for example, Perry's boiler room is a nice little pad that I'm even jealous of. There's also a Brazil poster in Jack's office I think. I got a nice chuckle. I was waiting to read what you had to say before going back for a second viewing... which I'll probably do tonight.

Spoiler for Fisher King spoiler:
Is there more to the fiery knight that Perry chases and is chased by? I understand that it ties in to his fear of reliving his wife's murder, that it's symbolically one of his demons he must overcome, etc. Is there more to that? How about when Jack is going to get the cup and he starts hearing and seeing things, such as hearing horses and seeing the guy with the shotgun in the stairwell?

I enjoyed the film. I had no qualms with it. Except maybe Jack's girlfriend is a typical, New York ****. Again, thanks for the recommendation. It's about that time for me to watch Brazil again, too, as a matter of fact...

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote