Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #11037 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I have no real beef with the kind of character she plays, but I guess if you do, that can get in the way. I've no special love for the kind of early 90s New Yorker gal in spandex, long nails and high hair, but I think Mercedes Reuhl brings that character to life in the best way and makes it possible to connect with her. She's vulnerable and strong at the same time, and very human and believable (imo). I see Mercedes won an academy award for best supporting actress for the part which I think was well deserved. Too bad Bridges didn't win any!

About the knight and other stuff ..

Spoiler for The Fisher King:
I've interpreted it pretty much like you. The red knight is a manifestation of the memory of the evening his wife got murdered. I believe the red colour and all the frilly bits are sort of meant to resemble the blood splatter from when she got shot in the head.

Whenever Perry is faced with the past, the red knight appears.

As for the vision of the killer that Jack has when he's broken into the house to steal the cup, I've also wondered. My kneejerk reaction was to think that the murderer is one of Parry's ghosts, but it's also Jack's demon. It's like the murderer doesn't want Jack to get the cup and redeem Parry and himself. Perhaps it's just meant to illustrate how Jack is fighting the "murderer" for the both of them.

I don't believe the cup was really important, but getting it was the first selfless act of compassion from Jack. The other times before when he was nice, he was only doing it for himself. That selfless act which the cup symbolizes to Parry is what redeems him in the end, I think.

Supposedly, the film is full of symbolism, so there's a lot to look out for.
I don't disagree at all that she played the part extremely well. I just didn't like the part. No biggie. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film.

I think we can agree on the spoilers. Thanks for the input. I'm ready for my second watch. Talk to you later Tore. Thanks again.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote