Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums you consistently listen to at least once per week
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #44 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
I don't know about that album. The first time I listened to it I was rather unimpressed, so I shelved it indefinitely. Then I saw this thing on Pitchfork where Flying Lotus was talking about how he didn't like it at first but then had some sort of epiphany and now loves it so I gave it another listen and............ it's still a little boring. All of the rhythms sound the same to me, and it's a rather minimal album. I guess it's just not for me, though I can understand why it's critically acclaimed.
I didn't start enjoying it until I accepted it for what it was. I really wanted it to go someplace else when I first listened to it. I wanted it to pick up...I wanted the hope of catchier hooks. Something just kept drawing me to it, though, and now I can safely say it's a great album. I'm not saying it can happen that way for everyone...but I am definitely with you (and Flying Lotus it seems) that it was boring at first. I did change my mind eventually, though.