Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #800 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

As reported recently by the NewsFoxes, I intend to make 2012 the year I do my best to highlight some of the newer, less well known acts emerging over here in Ireland. Most of the picks I'm featuring have to be credited to our national music rag, “Hot Press”, who featured a section on new Irish artistes due to make their mark this year --- some of whom have already gone a way towards breaking commercially, some of whom are only starting out and beginning to build their fanbase.

With such a varied crop and such, in some cases, embryonic talent, albums, even singles, are unlikely to be that easy to come by, so we'll instead be featuring whatever we can find on the Tube of Yous, and letting you hear for yourself what kind of possible new music stars are coming out of the Emerald Isle. We'll also be pointing you towards any released material they have that you can listen to/download/purchase.

Shaefri

We start off with a young lady from Mayo, though she's lived her early life in London, who goes by the name of Shaefri. Only eighteen years old, she's got one hell of a voice AND she can play piano, as you will see from the clips below. One to watch, certainly, and if you like what you hear her EP “Venture” is available from her Facebook page at Shaefri | Facebook. By the way, the below are all performances (well, one performance split into three parts) from a session she cut for national Irish radio station RTE 1. Being a radio interview, there is some of the usual waffle, as well as the performances, but as it fills in her background it's generally worth listening to.

Daithi O Dronai

Electronic fiddle playing? You'd better believe it! Discovered on the cringeworthy “All-Ireland Talent Show” (our pathetic attempt to emulate the equally pathetic “Britain's Got Talent”), Daithi O Dronai stands out from the crowd with innovative, interesting and challenging music. Don't ask me if he won (though he probably should have), as I never watched the show, but just have a listen to him here and see if you agree this guy surely has a bright future ahead of him. They'll probably make him change his name though --- can you imagine him on “Top of the Pops” --- it's pronounced “daw-hee”, guys! His EP “Embrace” can be listened to at Daithí

Little Xs For Eyes

Can't tell you a huge amount about these guys, other than that they're a band whose music just makes you feel all relaxed and happy. Cutepop? You'd better believe it! Album available at little xs for eyes

Runaway GO

Belfast pop group Runaway GO are being tipped as the big breakaway success waiting in the wings. With their music already featured in films and videogames, and a prestigious award already theirs, everyone's eagerly awaiting their debut album. These are just a few examples of what to expect when that happens...

Little Green Cars

An Irish Mumford and Sons? Well, this teenage folk sensation have been signed by the label that brought us both they and fellow Irish act, Two Door Cinema Club, so don't laugh just yet. Having played the live circuit for about three years now, it seems the small verdant automobiles are about to receive reward for all their hard work. All of which can, incidentally, be found on their Soundcloud page, htt://www.soundcloud.com/littlegreencars-1

And finally, for this first section of “The Very Best of Irish: the next generation”, just how much music do you think two guys can make on their own?

We Cut Corners

Another band who have been around for about three years, We Cut Corners is, as mentioned, comprised of two guys, John Duignan on guitars and vocals and Conall O'Breachain on drums and vocals. And THIS is what they're capable of...

So there you go. Whatever anyone tells you about Ireland, the economic recession, the property crash, our incompetent government, scandals everywhere, or that we're going to be crushed at Euro 2012, one sector is alive and kicking and very proud here in my native land, and that is the music scene. Next time I'll be looking at some more up-and-coming Irish acts, and some who have just made it, or are on the cusp.