Music Banter - View Single Post - Eating Bugs and other Creepy Crawlies
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfisa View Post
I've never thought of crustaceans as insects, not once. The prospect of eating something that was alive, and gooey doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Every decade or so we get thousands and thousands of cicadas that come through my parts, and people grill them up, dry them out, fry them, or just eat them raw. I might take a crack at an insect that was dried out, but even thinking about eating one raw makes me gag a bit.
Cicadas look like something I would've tried actually. About crustaceans, there are a few terrestrial isopods, called woodlice, which people often belive are bugs, despite the fact they lack the typical characteristics like 6 legs. According to the guys in this video, they taste a bit like prawns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
Very interested in trying it as well. I might start with the particular creepy crawly that scares me the most – scorpion. In China, scorpion on a stick is common. In the United States, a few candy shops sell what are known as scorpion suckers. They're also for sale online.
Scorpions do seem quite popular in that I've often seen people eat them on the telly, typically scorpions-on-a-stick from chinese markets. I've wondered if people remove the stinger before they eat them, but those in the lollies seem to have theirs intact. Can't they poke your tongue?

Nevertheless, I'd be happy to try a scorpion.

I disected a cockroach once and I was surprised at how fatty it was. Basically, its guts were just a bit of intestine going through a big chunk of white fat. So, since fat is rich in energy, I figured cockroaches could be regarded high quality food at least the ones we were working on!