Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #531 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

The problem health-wise with marijuana, as previously mentioned, is that it's unpredictable. Studies and even anecdotal evidence that we all love so much shows there is a link with schizophrenia. In a report I read some time ago, it said that basically all who smoke know someone, often some, who have had "bad trips" on cannabis. A large portion of these people experience personal crisis and may suffer with anxieties for a long time after, possibly their entire lives. We're not talking heavy users here, but casual smokers or even complete newbies.

The thing about alcohol abuse is you generally have to do it a lot and turn it into an addiction before it screws up your life. You know driving drunk is dangerous - it's predictable. The thing about cannabis is you never know if or when it's gonna happen and newcomers to the drug are likely at a disadvantage because they lack experience with the drug.

People underestimate the health dangers of cannabis. The fact that some people smoke their entire lives without noticing any profound negative effects doesn't mean it's gonna go that well for every other person who uses it.

I'd prefer decriminalization before legalization. I think it's ridiculous the way smokers have been chased by the law in the US, but on the other hand, I believe legalization will have a negative effect and if it's the best alternative, it's only because it's a lesser evil. In my opinion, society does not need to embrace a new way to mess with our heads unless it's the very last resort.