Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #585 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Pot makes a predictable amount of people sick when the numbers of people are very large because you can then use it in statistics. You can then say something like 6 in every 100 people who use cannabis will become schizophrenic compared to 1 in 100 who don't use it. Still, that doesn't mean the effect of cannabis is predictable to every user.
Of course the effects are not predictable for every user but, for what my observations are worth, I think your hypotheticals (6 out of 100 users sick vs. 1 out of 100 non-users sick) are pretty drastic. But, like I said, I haven't studied all the research so I'm just making an educated guess about this.

Quote:
Getting high is generally pleasurable, but can be a deeply traumatic experience to some. That's not uncommon in psychoactive drugs like LSD and shrooms. The same is not true for alcohol, hence people have to take other things in consideration when looking at the different drugs.
True but you only mentioned LSD, psilocybin, and alcohol here. Not marijuana which is the main topic, right?

Quote:
As for the rest of your post, I see little in it that I feel justifies the argument that the same scenario will play/is playing out for cannabis prohibition as it did for alcohol prohibition. Sure, cannabis could become infused in american society to the extent alcohol is in the future, but then those points will be valid in the future - not now. For the record, I don't believe cannabis ever will become as socially embraced as alcohol as long as it's prohibited, so (imo) the difference between long history of legality and sudden illegality versus the cannabis legal situation today is quite significant.
My argument is hypothetical and the legality of marijuana wouldn't be a sudden decision. The laws surrounding it have been controversial for nearly one century already.

And of course the embrace of marijuana's legalization is inhibited by its prohibition. Any relevant points that will be valid in the future are relevant now. Realization of this is how change begins.

edit: I think I addressed the economic problems that pot prohibition causes when I talked about how non-violent criminals who don't pose a significant threat to society are imprisoned with public funds.

Last edited by Engine; 02-04-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote