Music Banter - View Single Post - Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
After seeing Pedestrian's new avatar, I remembered I wanted to make a topic about these. We all know the books. If you don't, you're a disgrace. The stories were normally not all that scary, sometimes they were, but not too much so. But then there was Gammell's terrifying illustrations. I remember having a hard time looking at some of them as a kid, which of course meant that I loved them.

Well, they've been replaced. They are no longer around. The prices for the books containing Gammell's illustrations have skyrocketed. Our childhoods have been raped. It's a travesty. Luckily I have the treasury book which contains all the stories in one hardback book, as well as the boxed set. Here's some before and afters of the originals and the new ones.

That's it! I was this close to PMing Pedestrian asking her where it came from. I loved these stories.

Some favorites, as best as I can remember them:

1.) The one where the spiders layed eggs in the girl's cheeks. Played up my arachnophobia.

2.) The Wendigo, I think is what it was called?

3.) The one with the guy that fell overboard into the sea or something, I remember that one being very creepy.

4.) The Hook, where they find the claw on the car door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I don't recall if it was really the stories that scared me or if it was the illustrations. I recall never wanting to go near my window after reading one of the stories, I think it was called The Drum. Good times, good times.
This was another great one goo choice.

There was also that one with the people who saw the hearse or something? I wish I remembered the names of them.

Last edited by midnight rain; 02-04-2012 at 07:54 PM.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote