Music Banter - View Single Post - Trivial Predictable Question Yet Beneficial - Your Favourite Song...Like....EVER
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
PoorOldPo
Blue Pill Oww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
This thread has some beautiful tracks and some interesting revelations. Out of many, this would probably be my special song :-

I`ve been playing this regularly across the years ever since it came out, and if you`re wondering why, let me try to explain:-
At first it appears to be a lazy, unassuming song by a guy with a monotonous voice who can`t be bothered with anything more than casual strumming. He`s making no great claims for himself ( We`re the fishes and all we do...) and he can`t quite make sense of what is around him; he seems to be floundering about in a kind of soupy mess of romance, childishness, mystery and the mundane and yet as the song advances, he somehow conveys that this confusion is in itself beautiful and worthy of celebration. If ever you have felt that your circumstances are drab or random, Syd is here to say, "Don`t worry, there is still something of gold to be found in them."
So, it`s a song that is both reassuring and unsettling; it`s plodding but uplifting, relaxing but puzzling, and, er, that`s why I like it !
Alright, you get some good vibes for that. Sending them right now.

<3 Syd <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
It's nearly impossible to pick a single favourite but I guess I have to go with this

Why is it my favourite? It ticks all my boxes. It's soft, dreamy, bittersweet, memorable, it has a sense of nostalgia, I never get tired of it no matter how many times I hear it. Even the promo video is one of my favourites, it reminds me of college parties and people I used to know. It suits the music so well too. Slowdive are also one of my all-time favourite bands.

Absolutely beautiful. Jaysuz!

What I find interesting with this thread is most of the songs that people pick to describe their aura or psyche, are quite nostalgic and dreamy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldPo View Post
Hey, I usually hate when people ask this question to me, but just post the song that captures your essence, your soul the best. The song that describes you best, how you see the world. You can post more than one, no strict rules here. Share with me who you are through music. Don't be afraid to post a song that you think other people might not like, this is your personal song and we want to hear it.

My first choice is this. It is 80's psychedelic music. For me it captures that sensation of life, where I am confounded by the beauty of even the smallest and most seemingly irrelevant and subtle of things. It also captures feelings of love and friendship for me, and nostalgia.

For me it captures feelings of isolation in the modern industrialized world as well. Jesus I sound pretentious. Well thats how I feel. Whatever.

The Chameleons - View from a Hill - YouTube

I just wanted to go back to this song coz it probably is my favourite song. One line in particular, kind of mid-ways through the song. 2:20

" Debating what is and isn't there.....Who cares "

I don't usually hold that much weight to lyrics in songs, I usually find more emotional weight in the atmosphere, but that line really gets me for some reason. Kind of like....People are always trying to figure out the meaning of things...the meaning of life, what happens after we die? Why am I here? But it is all completely irrelevant in the long run, because we will never know in this life. Beautiful.

Last edited by PoorOldPo; 02-05-2012 at 11:28 AM.
PoorOldPo is offline   Reply With Quote