Music Banter - View Single Post - Television vs. Film
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Television, by a wide margin.

What a producer can do with a television series is amazing. Whereas a film is usually limited to just over three hours, or at best, several hours spanning a series of sequels, a television producer can craft his story over sometimes hundreds of hours worth of episodes.

Whereas a film producer needs to develop his characters quickly, practically choosing one or two "lessons" that character might learn by the end of the film, a television producer can develop their characters over the course of many episodes – eventually that character may become a completely different person, they may forge new friendships and see new perspectives, they may go for being unlikable to beloved – all as the audience watches.
It's funny because most of what you said is also what I here from people who prefer film, that movies are short and to the point, and don't add in some 'big character twist' to one of their main characters that they would've never thought of for that character in the first place, except they're going on season 5 now and running out of ideas

No doubt about it thought that films typically have a specific intent going in while tv shows tend to be more improvisational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I prefer Television I think. pretty much what has already been said, it allows more time to grow attached to characters and for the creators to add more to plots. There's something really special about finishing a series of a television program and knowing there's another one around the corner and there's a magic in waiting all week for that night your show is on.
Definitely agree on that, there's the magic of waiting each week for that night where your favorite show is on that movies don't have obviously, plus as you said you get more attached to characters.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote