Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #18063 (permalink)
crukster
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
When my social anxiety was bad, it often helped to remind myself that most people really aren't scrutinizing and judging me, and I wasn't under a microscope, simply due to the fact that most people are relatively unaware of what's going on around them while they're preoccupied in their own little lives. Incidentally, this is probably also supported by the sheer number of car accidents and shopping aisle blockages.
I always remark on how little people are actually aware of around them, and I certainly don't remember ever remarking about someone's unusually perceptive actions.

Keeping that in mind took the edge off.

What got me a LOT better, so far permanently, was having to take a speech class in college. It's the absolute most terrifying situation to be in when you suffer from social anxiety. What I began to notice was I wasn't the only one who was nervous up there, although stage fright isn't really a disorder and is common. So that helped a bit, but only in the short term. The entire semester was mentally brutal for me.
What happened, though, was I actually made it through and did well. I didn't notice that I was no longer so anxious in public until I had finished the semester off.
Overcoming that class has made the more mundane things seem like a cakewalk. Now I'm actually outgoing in public in situations where I'd just be pretending boredom or being silent.

I guess it's the equivalent of exposure therapy, but in a terrifying dose that assures you of your ability to handle every day stuff after "surviving" it.
They told me that too, basically, people don't really give a **** and I care too much or something. Which is maybe worse than anxiety I dunno.

But when he started talking about loading up your anti-virus software in your brain and stuff, especially after working on my laptop I was laughing my arse off cos it makes sense.

I got sent to a bloody mental assessment last year and the lady told me to "build my armour" which made sense and she was nice, but it didnt really tell me how, and I was too proud to ask so I didn't go back, took the pills instead. Just made me worse made me a complete recluse. Played Elder Scrolls all day that was my interpretation lolol

Yeah like those nutters that jump in the arctic in the Winter, and then they're alright swimming! I've been singing jams with my little bro on the guitar and that's actually been helping, I used to freeze under any sort of spotlight but when you learn to own what you do you start to stop looking in from outwards and out from inwards if that makes some simple sense

You have to do the things you want that scare you, and have the courage to just walk away from what you don't. But that's easier said than done, which is why ignorance is bliss really.

If you know the yes man thing I had an idea that you should be a no man. Say no to everything, then you only do the things you don't even have to question. But that's eh good on paper in real life probably means you'll do nothing, I guess...

Last edited by crukster; 02-06-2012 at 05:17 PM.
crukster is offline   Reply With Quote