Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #11062 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I can't see the pic but I am guessing it's Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain? I have been wanting to see this for years along with El Topo. I have his only foray into Horror (even though it is much more than that) Santa Sangre and it is as near to art I have come across especially in the Horror genre.

I advise you to check out Santa Sangre if you get the chance.
Yup, and I watched it a third time and feel confident I get the message and understand the plot. The visuals are top notch. I do really like what he did there. Some of its uncomfortable to watch, and that's done on purpose.

Spoiler for Example::
Testicles getting cut off to go in the 1000 testicles collection, which is quite a visual... the wall of testicles in jars.

So I just finished getting a copy of El Topo but haven't checked it out. A review on Holy Mountain stated to the effect of: While El Topo is dreamlike and unreal, Holy Mountain is supposed to be "all real" or some such. So I need to see El Topo to get a frame of reference.

Also, I'm gonna have to check out Santa Sangre, thanks for the rec.

Spoiler for About the scene towards the end of Holy Mt.:
I like, at the base camp for Holy Mt. on Lotus Isle., they have a bar/city that has all sorts of folks that came to travel to the top but got sidetracked at the bar or what-not. One dude says all his different drugs are all his Holy Mountains. He says: "The cross was a mushroom and the mushroom was also the Tree of Good and Evil. The Philospohical Stone of the alchemist was LSD. The Book of the Dead is a trip. And the Apocalypse describes a mescaline experience." Thought that was kind of neat...

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote