Music Banter - View Single Post - MB GENERAL ALBUM CLUB: Pg.Lost - Key
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #421 (permalink)
Howard the Duck
Live by the Sword

1) What are this albums' strengths?

As it stands, it isn't that different from other pre-C86 stuff out there, and i can point to several superior bands of that era - The Weather Prophets, The Loft and The June Brides. The main strength I think for this one is that the songwriting is quite competent, lots of melodic hooks and I admire their attempts at creating more diversity for what is basically jangly pop.

2) What are its weaknessess?

It tends to be all over the place. Some songs sound a bit like the Smiths, some like early Lightning Seeds.

3) How does it compare to the artist's other work?

This is the only one I've heard. I have heard of them before, but not heard them before.

4) Favourite songs?

Just for injecting some variety with horns and strings - "These are the Things", "Hey" and "September Sting"

5) What feelings did this album evoke?

Mostly nostalgia, and watching The Tube (British music program with obscure bands) on VHS in the 80s.

6) How does this album fit into your regular rotation?

I don't really like it that much, so not really many repeat listenings.

7) What stood out to you about this album's themes, musically/lyrically?

the topics are quite disparate, and the themes vague - in fact, i'd say it's slightly schizoid

8) If you've had any noteworthy experiences with this album, what have they been?

None, except that the download is quite short and need not much fuss.

9) What do you know about this album's creation? Any interesting facts or anecdotes?

None

10) How does this album represent the chosen theme?

I'm not aware of any.

11) How does this album compare to other albums nominated for this theme?

I think I like the other albums in that nomination table more, all of them, more than this, actually.

12) How does this album compare to others in its genre?

Not that strong. Definitely better pre-C86 stuff out there.

13) Can you recommend similar albums to this?

I can point you to The Weather Prophets, The Loft and The June Brides but I haven't heard entire albums.

14) What does this album's artwork say about it? Is it well paired with the music?

um, no - it looks like a rollicking punk album but it's not

15) If you voted for this album, why?

I didn't

Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote