Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead: Greatest Guitarist Of Our/All Time?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Well, yes, a bit exaggerated I guess. It depends heavily on what album we're speaking of. For example from Crime Slunk Scene from 2006, I love his song Soothsayer, but everything else on there is a bore or even irritating to listen to to me. Albums like Population Override, Electric Tears, Colma and Shadows Between the Sky have a higher ratio of good to bad tunes, but I do feel like overall, he puts out a lot of mediocre material with a few truly good songs sprinkled here and there across his discography.
I can get behind that... But since you brought up Crime Slunk Scene, I must ask you to re-evaluate "King James", "Fairy and the Devil", and maybe "Gory Head Stump 2006" and "Electronic Slight of Hand", if for no other reason than a personal favor. Please? I really dig King James and Fairy and the Devil. Out of the 11 tracks, I have those + Soothsayer at 5 stars, which is almost half, which goes with my 50/50.

But to your point, I can agree. Not every album is gold by far, but many are. Let me do the opposite of what I usually do and find a couple examples of his work I don't enjoy...

Bermuda Triangle (2002). From 19 tracks, I can only listen to three. But those three are not only superb but very different from his usual. For reference, those are "Bionic Fog", "Splintered Triplet", and "Whatevas".

Bucketheadland (1992) I can barely listen to this pile of demos and b-sides. Theres like ... 2 for 33. Park Theme and Home Run Derby are all I can stand. Same with Bucketheadland 2 from 2003... hardly but two tracks out of a bunch that I can stand. So in this case, your original point rings true. Luckily he's got ... 35 solo albums and overall, about 100 albums he's an active member of to choose from and listen to; to pick and choose the style of Buckethead that is up your alley.

Day of the Robot (1996) Not up my alley. Only 5 tracks, but none of them stick in my book. It's a skipper. Not bad, per se, but not my style.

Forensic Follies (2009) Weird album. I can only enjoy a couple off this release. And they're bizarre. But in general, it's not a bad release, just not my style.

Etc. etc.

So I see your point. Sometimes, depending on the album, a good song is "a real diamond in the rough" [2009 - sweet BH album] and others are 50/50 and some are god damned perfect.

P.S. I enjoyed your last avatar, but missed the rats. Glad to see the Rat King is back.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote