Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead: Greatest Guitarist Of Our/All Time?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I've known about Buckethead for around 5 years now because a friend unfortunately loves his music. I agree with you that Buckethead's technique is fantastic, but I hate the style of music he plays. It usually sounds frenetic or overly-slow, with songs sometimes meandering aimlessly and at other times being much too repetitive. Overall his music sounds pointless to me. The only mood it puts me in is irritated.

At best, he kind of creeps me out, so that's something positive, I suppose. I'll try listening again to one of his songs from start to finish, but I find them so boring and devoid of what I value in music that I don't know if I'll be able to unless someone pays me.

Phhhbt. Like a bucket on your head isn't a gimmicky method??? Phhhbt. I hate his stupid bucket.
He's a regular sweetheart. There's nothing inherently creepy about the man (Brian Caroll). I guess the Michael Myers mask and the KFC bucket is the creepy bit. Or how he does the robot and acts mechanical.

But I wanted to say, about his bucket/mask... He's shy. He makes music that people love and that I'm sure he enjoys, but doesn't want it to follow him home. Some people really dislike this for multiple reasons, but I see nothing wrong with that. He wants his privacy. He does not want the rockstar treatment. He doesn't want to get caught at the grocery store or bank or wherever and bombarded with publicity or fans or anything. Again, he's shy. I think his outfit is smart and I respect his will to privacy. It took ages for the masses to finally figure out his name.

I just wanted to share with you. It's not a gimmick. It's a matter of privacy. And once that was established, it becomes his stage persona. Which many people enjoy and many people detest. But try not to be bothered with it, if possible.

If I knew you and your taste better, Vegangelica, I'd try to personalize a recommendation for you. But BH is not for everyone. If you're not down with instrumental shred, funk, ambient, acoustic, or mellow rock [whatever the term to describe his softer works like Colma, Electric Tears, etc.] then he may not be for you.

Do you enjoy instrumental music? I'm gonna throw some Buckethead, Brain & Travis Dickerson out for you to sample. Thanatopsis

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote