Music Banter - View Single Post - Johann Sebastian Bach
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Burning Down, I'm just aware of the controversy, but not swayed to either side of it and not passionate enough about it to really do the research myself. If you want better arguments or references, you may be able to find some of that on the compositions wikipedia page

Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you Tore. I apologize if my post comes off as really crass, but I think reading that article got my blood boiling a little bit. I based everything I said off of my own personal research for music history essays, and also on what I've been taught in school. Before I started university, my brain was pretty much a blank slate in terms of music history, and the little bit of history I was taught in high school reflected composers in a positive light. For example, I never knew about Wagner's EXTREME antisemitism and Hitler proclaiming his music be the official patriotic and stately music of the Third Reich, until I came across that information myself, in my first year of university. As somebody who comes from a mainly Jewish family, you can be certain that it upset me and the fact that Wagner was so highly praised by my teachers in high school sickened me. In university, my professors have been a little more open to controversy and negativity towards popular composers, but they still made it difficult for students to portray greats like Bach in a negative light. So I never knew about any controversy behind his Toccata and Fugue in D minor until you linked me to that article. For that, I thank you. It's really opened my mind and when I have more time, possibly in the summer when school is out, I will look into this more.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote