Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #860 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

You want Moore? You GOT Moore!
Many Gary Moore albums came with extra tracks for certain releases only, or boxed sets that saw never-before-released material included. We're going to try to feature as many of those hard-to-get tracks as we can here in this section.

This is an extra track that appears on CD versions of his second album “Back on the streets”. There are three versions, one with Gary on vocal, one with Phil Lynott and one instrumental. This is the Gary vocal one.

This is the one with Phil on vocals

and this is the instrumental version.

This is the remixed version of “Falling in love with you” from “Corridors of power”

and this is the same remix, but an instrumental of same. Both were available on the 2002 reissue of the album.

That reissue also contained one extra, previously unreleased track, “Love can make a fool of you”.

The American release of “Victims of the future” had an extra track, “Devil in her heart”

while the later reissue had two more, one being an instrumental called “Blinder”

and the other a remix of “Empty rooms”.

The reissue of the following year's “Run for cover” had this extra track, his own version of the Thin Lizzy classic “Still in love with you”. There are no vocals on this, it's purely Gary on the guitar.

“Wild frontier” contained two 12-inch extended mixes on the reissue, one of them being one of my all-time favourites, “The loner”

the other was NOT one of my favourites, an extended version of his cover of “Friday on my mind”.

When 1990's “Still got the blues” was reissued in 2002 it had no less than five extra tracks, only two of which were written by Gary. They included “The stumble”, by Freddie King and Sonny Thompson

one of Gary's originals, “Left me with the blues”

the blues standard “Further on up the road”,

his other original, “Mean cruel woman”

and Elmore James' bluesy “The sky is crying”.

The remaster of “After hours” also contained five extra tracks: “All time low”

“Woke up this morning”

“Movin' on down the road”

Johnny Darrow's “Don't start me talkin'”

and “Once in a blue moon”.

Jumping over the BBM and the tribute album, “Dark days in Paradise” is next up, and its 2003 reissue contained this rather odd little funky number, “Burning in our hearts”

and the reggae-influenced “There must be a way”.

And that was about it. His last album, “Bad for you baby”, has one extra track that's only on the Japanese release, a cover of Lightnin' Hopkins' “Picture on the wall”, but oddly I can't find it on YT and I don't have the Japanese issue so I can't even upload it.

Looking at compilation albums then, the first is a Japan-only release entitled “Gary Moore”, released in 1982 and containing tracks from “Grinding stone” as well as some material from “Colosseum II”. As it's hard to track these down without getting the original Colosseum II performances, I've decided not to include them. So the next compilation album is purely Gary material, and it's 1994's “Ballads and blues: 1982-1994”. There are, not including single versions of other tracks and live performances, three unreleased tracks on this album.

First is “One day”

then the tender ballad “With love (remember)”

and then the instrumental “Blues for Narada”.

2002 then saw the release of “Best of the blues”, a double CD on which were another four previously unreleased tracks, most of which were of course blues covers.

Gary teams up with Albert Collins and Albert King for “Caldonia”

then there's “You don't love me (no no no)”. I can only find a live version of this...

The classic “The thrill is gone” is a great addition --- same here I'm afraid, only a live version ---

and Albert Collins is back for “Cold cold feeling”.