Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead: Greatest Guitarist Of Our/All Time?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Thank you for the suggestion, Frownland. I listened to this song, "Electric Tears," off the Electric Tears album, thinking that it might represent well Buckethead's style on that album, and...

Buckethead - Electric Tears - YouTube

...unfortunately, ^ this is exactly the sort of music I dislike quiet vehemently!

The song is so slow, faintly sweet, and repetitive that it sounds insipid to me, and by 1 minute into it I was writhing in my seat in music agony, praying to the music gods that the song would change. The only change that occurred was that the image of the fountain (a type of fountain I *also* hate) shifted to...and image of Buckethead's head. Now his stage persona looks even creepier to me.

I did, however, like the low note at 3:46 in the song...so that's one good thing about it. :/

Thank you, Mrd00d, for your thoughtful reply and explanation for the bucket. I can understand his being shy and wanting to live his life as a normal one. I was over-hasty in writing the bucket off as just a gimmick. However, I still do think he could have covered up his hair without using a distracting *bucket*.

I'm glad you described the type of music he plays, because I think you are right: the situation here is that I'm not down with instrumental shred, funk, ambient, acoustic or mellow rock. It's kind of nice to have words, now, to describe succinctly some types of music that I must not like much.

I also frequently don't enjoy instrumental music (unless it is classical or unusual electronic music). So this would explain why I don't like Buckethead's music. I listened to Thanatopsis, for example, and didn't like it much at all, but thank you for the suggestion. I really do appreciate your making the effort to give one, even though I didn't like the song.
I wouldn't recommend Electric Tears, that album puts me to sleep except for a song or two. You need to listen to albums like "Population Override" and "Decoding the Tomb of Bansheboot".

buckethead-Population Override - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I've only heard one off songs he's done in collaborations with other artists and I've managed to hate every single one I've heard.
Don't waste your time with collabs from people like Serj Tanken. I don't like any of his collabs unless it's with Claypool, or some of his projects like The Frankenstein Brothers and Praxis, or the guys he plays with on the album "Octave of the Holy Innocents".
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote