Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #299 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Everything about this song sounds so clear, pure and fresh, Erica - your voice, the violin flourishes, the sincerity of the sentiments...and you've chosen perfect nature images for the video which accompany the song so well...it's like taking a walk in spring air! I love this. Very well done.

These lines caught my interest -

"Always caring for yourself
with such responsibility,
won’t you let a little bit of that
fall on me?"

Taken on its own, I can understand the meaning of that verse - but I'm wondering what connection it has to the other lyrics as being about men who wear their hair long. I like that verse very much and it's the one that really caught my attention on first listening.
Liz, thank you so much for giving your feedback!

I'm really glad that the overall effect of the song/video on you was like taking a walk in spring air, because it also has that effect on me. I'm happy it has a similar effect on someone else...and in particular that it affects *you* this way, because I value your discerning musical taste and opinion.

In answer to your question about the relationship between long hair and a man's ability to care for himself with responsibility, when I wrote the lyrics I was imagining my "dream man," taking bits and pieces from real men I've known and mixing them with the idealized fantasy, which is a strong yet gentle and noble man who is centered enough to care for himself by not following societal rules that limit or constrict him in ways that put down who he is as a person.

I view a man who grows his hair long as being strong enough not to cave into societal pressures, which means to me that he cares enough about himself to create his own moral compass for determining what is right and wrong, rather than just swallowing what he is told. That is the reason I view there as being a relationship between a man's long hair and his ability to take care of himself with responsibility.

When I see someone like that who has taken responsibility for the direction of his own life by treating himself with care, I feel compassion and want to be able to support him so that the burden of independence is a little lighter. That is the reason I ask that he let some of the responsibility for caring for himself fall on me. I wanted to emphasize that I ask this not because he *can't* care for himself (because he *can*), but because I wish for him to have someone to relax into and with whom he can let his hair down...literally.

I think I was inspired to write this song after listening to Big Star's "Dream Lover," which I felt was such a dreamy homage to a loved-one (presumably female) that I wanted to write a sweet love song honoring a dream man and his effect on me:

Big Star - "Dream Lover"

Big Star-dream lover - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote