Music Banter - View Single Post - Jimi Hendrix
Thread: Jimi Hendrix
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #134 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Where is Hendrix's place in Prog Rock? I know he isn't technically prog, but he was psychedelic rock, and that's where prog has it's roots. But I think he was a progressive guitar player, sure he was mostly psychedelic blues-rock, with a little jazz, but he was really like nobody else before him. I think he was one of the most progressive guitarists in rock n roll history. He inspired so many and still to this day you hear so many guitarists who were obviously inspired by him. He really progressed guitar playing and made it what it has become.
Progressing the instrument is not the same as composing progressive music. Especially not when the 'progress' of the instrument is little more than a mimicry of the original for the most part.

I can't remember the name of the specific Blues Association or Foundation or what but there was a group representing the Blues who refused to acknowledge Hendrix's music (maybe because his Delta was on Mars instead of the Mississippi) the only way his music made it in was because BB King donated his entire record collection to them (which included a copy of Axis:Bold as Love). If the people representing the Blues weren't keen on accepting Hendrix, I can't see the people representing Prog being keen on accepting him either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote