Music Banter - View Single Post - Help me with Ska PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Dezzy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag 7
I'd just like to say that the Specials were DEFINITELY on TwoTone Records, in fact it was Jerry Dammers' own label.

Also for vintage TwoTone bands check out The Beat, The Selecter and Madness, also Bad Manners, although I don't think they were on TwoTone.

Also top ska-punk-hiphoppers King Prawn were quality, check out their albums "Fried in London", "Surrender To The Blender" and "Got The Thirst".

Finally you must check out original Jamaican ska like Prince Buster, Toots and the Maytals and the Skatalites.

P.S. Reel Big Fish really aint ska.
Ahhh... Something I feel qualified in to comment with some confidence.
The Specials - All 2Tone Records releases.
The Beat - Started out on 2Tone with "Tears of a Clown", then I think following releases were on Go Feet Records.
The Selecter - I think released a couple on 2Tone before continuing on Chrysalis.
Bad Manners- I don't think ever released anything on 2Tone, and can't remember what their label was.
Madness - Released "The Prince" , a tribute song to Prince Buster on 2Tone before continuing a succesful relationship with Stiff Records. I think Madness may have had some "SKA" record in the UK charts by achieving something like 15 consecutive top ten hits in a row. The only number one though was House of Fun. I think The Specials got two top spots with "too much too Young" & "Ghost Town" respectively.
The Bodysnatchers (mentioned in earlier post by Soundgardener) had some success with "Lets do Rock Steady" & "Easy Life", both on 2Tone.
The Bodysnatchers split up and became The Belle Stars on Stiff Records I think.
In relation to the thread starter these are Ska bands I would recommend although I appreciate these were all inspired by the originators of Blue Beat (think it was called that).
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote