Music Banter - View Single Post - The Final Sound
Thread: The Final Sound
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #70 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Definitely! Bon Iver and Feist both released two of the best album this year. I will keep an eye out for a post either praising them or slating them in your journal. That reminds me, I must listen to the rest of Feist's albums as well.
Well, I did it! I finally listened to (and reviewed) Bon Iver's album (the new one). What can I say?
WOW! IT WAS.... how can I put this? It was .... okay.
I was hugely underwhelmed. I really expected this was going to blow me away and it, well, didn't.

As I make clear in my review, it's not that I don't think it's a good album (it is), but there are hundreds better I've listened to --- okay, not this year, it's only less than two months old after all, but come on! It's pretty ordinary, is what I found. I'm obviously in the minority, as I see it won best album in plenty of mags etc, but I just don't see it. I was really left with a feeling of "Yeah, but so what?" after it was over. VERY disappointed.

Oh well, guess it's just not to my tastes. Scratch that: I do like it, but I'm just not going to cream all over it like some of you guys (and a lot of others) have. Just didn't hit my sweet spot I guess.

In return, may I recommend Joseph Arthur's new double CD "Redemption City", available for free download from his website? Check my review of that, and then compare it (maybe) to Bon Iver. I know who I prefer.

Still got to listen to Feist though, but first, Van Halen....
TH